Extreme Skid Plate
The development of the "Dakar" engine protection plate began shortly after the 1200 GS was introduced. Extreme rides however proved that further improvements were possible and so the "Extreme" protection plate was subsequently developed as a result. For many riders, our lower priced "Dakar" plate is more than sufficient and indeed, a vast improvement over the stock plate. The "Extreme" plate is for the extreme rider, who might wind up in places where there's some serious rock bashing to be done.
First, a sturdy aluminum carrier fitted with silent block bushings is bolted to the bottom of the engine. The "Extreme" plate then attaches to the carrier. This design allows rubber mounting of the plate, an important attribute for such a part. The carrier however allows the rubber mounts to be positioned to the outside of the sump and the result is increased ground clearance as compared to other mounting systems.
• Steep angle in front to prevent getting "hooked".
• Protects the collector at the rear.
• Ground clearance increased by 25 mm (1") compared to original.
• 4 mm (~5/32") thick + strong aluminum plate.
• Strengthening swages + shape make this plate almost indestructible.
• No modifications needed, easy attachment.
• Bolted to existing mounting points/threads.
• Sold complete with complete fitting kit + bolts.
Replacement parts for this plate are available under the Related Products.
This item fits the following:
- R1200 GS (2004 - 2012)
- R1200 GSA (2005 - 2013)